Sunday, May 19, 2013

Green Towers

I've seen and planted flowering specimen towers before, they are a thing of beauty. I also highly reccommend it for small spaces for High Impact.
My little one was wanting to recreate something we skimmed past on youtube, Cucumber Towers. Simple construction and planting, here are a few pictures.




Supplies:
4' tall wire fencing (we used about 30")
1 pot (we used a plastic pot that holds about 40# of growing medium)
Growing Medium Organic Garden Mix by MiracleGro
Manure & Humus mix
Worm Castings homegrown
Cucumber Seeds (we used Lemon Cucumbers, 9 seeds split in 3 holes)



Cut your fencing so that one end is flat and the other has wires extended to use for connecting. Bend into a circle connect with exposed long wires, tuck in so no sharp edges or purchase wire connectors to slip over ends.
Make sure your container has adequate drainage holes, I mixed 1/2 MiracleGro and 1/2 all other just mix everything together well.
Push fencing tower into the center and affix with landscape pins. (you can make your own with a little of the wire fencing or a clothes hangar, just cut several8" lengths and bend in half) I also push the tower down into soil and cover a bit. The plants will finish securing and give stability anf weight when they get growing.
I have an extra tower and a tomato stake 6' ready in case I have to raise the tower.

Our seed sprouted in about 3-4 days.



They also got a dose of Worm Casting tea to feed.
Vertical planting also has the added advantage of being well ventilated, less fungal problems.

I plan to try a few larger towers in my 25 gal containers, maybe some malabar spinach and beans.

This project was started on the small side since my 4.8yr old was helping.

Worm Casting Tea next

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to check out my thoughts.
Come back soon.