Sunday, January 27, 2013

Jerusalem Artichokes ( Helianthus tuberosa)

I have heard of this strange looking things for years
My dad's mother made relish out of it
My mom's mom grew them
I have seen them in the whole foods store at $5 a pound.
But as I research them as an Heirloom plant and found commonly in the European Markets.
It is not commonly cultivated here in it's native Eastern USA.
Also called the sunchoke it has properties valuble to Diabetics.
I can't beleve something that is so productive is not know moreover here in the states.
It is quite High in Iron (Fe) and Potassium (K) as well as other trace elements our body's need

From the Columbia Encyclopedia:
Jerusalem artichoke, tuberous-rooted perennial (Helianthus tuberosus) of the family Asteraceae (aster family), native to North America, where it was early cultivated by the indigenous inhabitants. In this particular case the name Jerusalem is a corruption of girasole [turning toward the sun], the Italian name for sunflower, of which this plant is one species. The edible tubers are somewhat potatolike, but the carbohydrate present is inulin rather than starch, and the flavor resembles that of artichokes. Jerusalem artichoke is more favored as a food plant in Europe (where it was introduced in 1616) and China than in North America, where it is most frequently grown as stock feed. The inulin is valuable also as a source of fructose for diabetics. Jerusalem artichokes are classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Asterales, family Asteraceae.


These are some I have set out drying that were sent to be from a friend
Robert G. Giles
of http://www.ailensunflowers.com


From what I gather not many people grow them because they are quite multiplicorous...LOL...or they are a weed and could get out of control if not contained. I plan to set up a bed with cedar planks, with a bottom. Or I do have a 55 gallon drum that could be cut in half and become a home for these tuberous yummies.
I honestly can't wait to grow them as I have shared a video where folks use them as trellises for their beans (I will be using scarlet runner beans).

Tubers of Helianthus tuberosus introduced into Europe from Canada by Samuel de Champlain in the seventeenth century and originally called Canadian artichoke; the origin of the name Jerusalem is from the Italian girasole (sunflower). A 170-g portion is a good source of copper; a source of vitamin B1; provides 1.7 g of dietary fibre; supplies 30 kcal (125 kJ). Much of the carbohydrate is the non-starch polysaccharide insulin.

Sunchoke Nutritional Value Guide: (Raw)
Quantity - 1 Cup
Energy - 115 Calories
Carbohydrates - 26 (grams)
Protein - 3 (grams)
Cholesterol - 0 (milligrams)
Weight - 150 (grams)
Fat - 0 (grams)
Saturated Fat 0 (grams)

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
(unranked): Angiosperms
(unranked): Eudicots
(unranked): Asterids
Order: Asterales
Family: Asteraceae
Tribe: Heliantheae
Genus: Helianthus
Species: H. tuberosus
Binomial name Helianthus tuberosus
This info was gathered from
http://sunchoke.org/history.html

I have sauteed thinly sliced tubers in olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice, and garlic, I kept on the heat until they started to become transparent.

I also substituted about 2 cups into a mix for a FAUX POTATO SALAD.
I cleaned the roots with a scrubby pad to get rid of alot of the outer brown.
Diced them into small cubes
boiled intil they just began to be soft.
Then I drained them and put into a bowl
added about 2 TBSP sweet pickles diced fine
1/2 cup light mayo
1/4 cut yellow mustard
a generous squeeze of honey
and salt and pepper to taste
and I minced a stem of celery leaves.

It was good warm but it was absolutely fabulous the next day cold.
I would serve it to folks to see if they could really tell a difference.
I am definately going to be testing a few recipies to see if the substitution can be made for things like hask browns, and french fries, and maybe do them scalloped and baked...I will be getting back with updates on these tests. I do hope you all have a fabulous day.
I am putting out a feeler with my twitter connection at Mother Earth News and Martha Stewart Living Magazine to see if they have any fun ideas with this vegetable.
and Grow Jerusalem Artichokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to check out my thoughts.
Come back soon.